Oat and Avocado Muffins
Since avos are buttery and rich, I thought why not use them in place of butter in a cake or muffin. Since this was going to be an experiment, I decided to go the whole hog and cut out the sugar and make savoury healthy muffins. To underline the health quotient, I opted for an equal mix of rolled oats and flour. And so having decided my key ingredients, and before my excitement got out of control, I got on with setting up the lab….errr kitchen.
I must’ve made these healthy muffins in some kind of record time because I couldn’t wait to see the results. And that’s a big plus in favour of this recipe…it’s quick and perfect for a Sunday lunch with some poached eggs and tomato salsa perhaps. Since they were savoury, I threw in some chopped green olives too to notch up the flavour. And if you do decide to make these healthy muffins, remember to add coarsely cracked pepper from a pestle at the very last minute just before you put them in the oven. The peppery perk with the creamy soft texture of the muffin is wonderful and begs a smear of goat cheese to create a perfect mouthful. If you don’t care for olives, you could add fried bacon bits, sundried tomatoes, cheddar or a variety of other beautiful savoury ingredients. A very important prep tip is to grease your muffin tin and paper liners well so that the butterless batter doesn’t stick.
These are meant to be healthy muffins that would make a perfect post-workout or midday snack, a lunchbox staple, a great addition to the picnic basket or simply a quick breakfast option. If you have a hankering for something sweet, swirl in about 3-4 tablespoons of honey and skip the olives and healthy muffins would still be good for you since honey unlike refined sugar will add just a touch of sweetness.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup thick buttermilk
- 3/4 cup well ripened avocados mashed
- 1/4 cup chopped green olives
- 2 heaped tsps cracked pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp soda bicarb
- Soak the oats in the buttermilk for an hour.
- Grease and prepare 12 muffin moulds and preheat the oven to 200 degress C.
- Beat the egg into the oat mixture followed by the avocados. Then add the flour sifted together with salt, baking powder and soda bicarb. Do not over mix. Add the pepper and chopped olives, and bake for 15-20 minutes till an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Also know more about –