I would use every lemon that life gave me to make these light as air, tangy and unbelievably simple cupcakes. It is one of those easy cupcake recipes that you can whip up at a moment’s notice. I’m not a fan of thickly iced cupcakes no matter how prettily they’re decorated, because I feel that all the sugar on top saturates my palate to a point where I can’t taste the cake at all. And believe me this isn’t because cake decorating is not my strong suite. I normally go with a glaze or dusting. And just to explain the picture above; I iced those only because the friend who ordered them from me wanted them for a special occasion. But whether you go with a glaze or an icing, these little lemony ladies are just beautifully tart yet sweet. Do try!
Luscious Lemon Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup soft unsalted butter
- 11/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tsps finely grated lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsps fresh lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and line 12 cupcake moulds with paper liners.
- Beat butter, sugar and lemon zest with an electric mixer in a large bowl till blended, fluffy and pale yellow.
- Add the eggs one by one, beating after each addition. Beat in half the flour, and add buttermilk and lemon juice before beating in the remaining flour.
- Drop one round tablespoon of batter into each cupcake mould, and bake cupcakes for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Lemon Cupcakes by Asha Venugopal
Lemon Coconut Muffins by Veggie Kids