This is one of those dishes that just happen. It began with half a head of cauliflower and half a head of broccoli. Thought I’d roast them and make a pasta salad. Then remembered that I had some lovely, tangy sundried tomatoes, which would lift the relatively blander flavours of the
flowers and the pennette. The tang needed a hit of salt and hello halloumi! I thought adding some pan-seared halloumi would make this a well-rounded pasta dinner. Feta or goat’s cheese would be fitting substitutes if you can’t get your hands on this firm and flavourful Middle Eastern cheese. Vegetarian, healthy and super fresh – my boys finished every little crumb. Do add freshly cracked and not ground pepper – it makes a world of difference.
Broccoli Cauliflower And Halloumi Penne
- 270 g penne pasta
- 11/2 cups medium-sized cauliflower florets
- 11/2 cups medium-sized broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 100 g halloumi cheese sliced into 1/2cm thick slices
- 1 cup sweet rocket washed and dried
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- Boil a large pot of water with salt and cook the pasta till al dente, drain and set aside.
- Gently heat the olive oil and sear the cheese slices on medium heat for a minute or two. Remove from heat and slice into long strips.
- Then lightly fry the garlic and tomatoes. Toss in the cauliflower and broccoli, sauté for 2 minutes, then cover and cook for 3-5 minutes more till cooked but still crunchy. Season with salt and mix in the pasta followed by the cheese taking care not to break up the veggies and the cheese.
- Turn off the heat, sprinkle with cracked pepper, toss in the rocket, mix and serve immediately.