Butternut Squash and Coconut Milk Curry
A creamy butternut squash curry with fragrant whole spices
- 500 g butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 2 green chillies slit halfway
- 11/2 inch piece of cinnamon broken into three
- 3 green cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 300 ml tin of coconut milk
- 11/2 tbsps sunflower or any neutral oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 3/4 cup water
Heat oil in a pan on medium and throw in the whole spices. Stir for half a minute and add the onions and sauté till lightly transparent. Now add the garlic and sauté for a further minute.
Put in the turmeric, cook for 20 seconds more before tossing in the squash and whole green chillies. Stir fry for a couple of minutes, add the water, bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and cook till the squash is tender but not squishy.
Now season with salt and chilli powder keeping the heat low. Finally pour in the coconut milk and simmer for a further 2 minutes. Serve with hot rice or rotis.