Beetroot, Baby Spinach and Blue Cheese Salad
A sweet, salty, nutty salad
- 5 medium beets
- Big handful of baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds roughly chopped
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbled
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
- 11/2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
Cook (steam or roast) beets with skins on, then peel and cube them.
Combine beets and onions in a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, honey and balsamic. Grill for 15 minutes under hot grill (turning at intervals to avoid burning) till lightly caramelised.
Spoon the beets on individual plates, arrange the spinach leaves on top, sprinkle over the nuts and crumbled blue cheese and finally drizzle the jus from the baking dish. Serve with toasted slices of crusty baguette.