Coconut Prawn Curry
A creamy, spicy seafood curry
- 500 g medium sized prawns shelled and de-veined
- 1/2 a fresh coconut grated
- 4 shallots finely chopped
- 2 big garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 11/2 tsp cayenne chilly powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 green chillies slit and de-seeded
- 2 pieces of kokum soaked in a little water or 1/2 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 1 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
In a spice grinder, make a smooth paste with the fresh coconut,peppercorns, turmeric, coriander and chilly powders using a little water as required.
Heat oil in a pan till hot and throw in the mustard seed and curry leaves. Reduce the heat to low and add the shallots, garlic and ginger and sauté till translucent, for about a minute.
Now add the coconut paste and green chillies and fry for 2-3 minutes before adding a cup of water to get a thick gravy. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes on low heat.
Finally, add the prawns and salt and cook covered for no more than 10-12 minutes till the prawns are done but succulent. Serve with plain steamed rice.