Almond and Grape soup
An elegant cold soup for a hot day
- 4 slices of day-old bread crusts removed broken into large pieces
- 100 g whole blanched almonds
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 4 tbsps extra virgin olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 4 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 1 ltr cold water
- 100 g peeled seedless white grapes roughly chopped
Soak bread in a bowl of cold water for 4-5 minutes.
Put almonds and garlic in a food processor and blend till finely ground. Squeeze out the excess water and add the bread followed by the olive oil and the vinegar and blend till smooth.
Keep the processor running and pour in the cold water in a thin stream till fully incorporated.
Strain the soup through a fine sieve to extract as much liquid as possible. Season with salt, cover and chill overnight or for 3-4 hours at least.
Ladle soup into individual bowls adding equal quantities of grapes to each bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
Preparation time does not include chilling time.
Adapted from Fresh Spanish by Sergio Vasquez